Other Services

Registration of births



· Copy of valid Costa Rican ID of both parents ("cédula de identidad"). In case of non-Costa Rican parents: copy of the passport. Copies of the passports of Costa Rican parents are not accepted to carry out consular procedures.

· Birth certificate translated into Spanish (International Birth Certificate) and apostilled in Spanish. For sworn translators, please check the following link: http://www.bureauwbtv.nl/

Costa Rican parents must attend the appointment. If one of the parents is not Costa Rican, the presence at the appointment is not required.

Registration of marriages

For this procedure it is essential to obtain a marriage certificate emitted by the respective local authority, duly apostilled at the nearest Rechtbank arrondisement.


Once the document has been apostilled, both spouses must present it before the Consulate, along with their identity cards; in order to fill out and sign a form that will be provided by the Consul (an appointment is necessary for this procedure).


Note: The marriage certificate must be officially translated to Spanish, for its use in Costa Rica. This procedure can be done through the services of official translators in The Netherlands. On this website you will find official translators.


About  Apostilla

Apostille is certificate which verifies and confirms the seal and signature of person who authenticated the document . Some people call this 'superlegalisation'. There are designated authorities in every country to issue apostille certificates or legalisation. Apostilles are commonly issued for various documents related to adoption cases, for commercial documents, for official documents related to vital statistics, and for court records, land records, school documents and patent applications.


Who had signed 'hague agreement for abolishing the need for public documents' can issue apostille. Once an apostille is obtained, it is automatically considered 'valid' and 'acceptable' in all the 98 hague convention countries. Some small territories or notably some countries, very well recognise apostille, eventhough they cannot issue apostille. See: Hague Convention Website. If the country where the document will be used is not a party to the Convention, you will have to begin the legalization process.


In the Netherlands apostilles can be requested at the regional court house ("Arrondissements rechtbank"). Select the court house which belongs to the region in which the certificate (birth, death, marriage) or other official document was issued (e.g. divorce decree, notary document). There is a walk in service or mail in service.


The Registrars of the Courts of first instance : 




Importing dogs and cats to Costa Rica

Please read thoroughly the document available in this link.


It is important to contact the airline in advance for additional requirements.