To obtain a Consular or restricted Visa to enter Costa Rica, the applicant must complete the following requirements (photocopies of all required documents must be provided). We do not accept visa applications done by mail from January 2017.
1. A passport valid for at least 6 months (and photocopy of the page with your information).
2. Photocopies of the pages in the passport showing other visas issued (i.e. USA, Canada, .)
3. An Application Form (see below on this page). This is an official document, therefore only application forms issued at this Consulate are accepted.
4. 1 color photograph (passport size).
5. Your original itinerary. It is recommended NOT to buy your airline ticket until your visa has been approved.
6. A personal or company letter stating the purpose of your trip English or Spanish. If you have been invited by the government or a public or private institution, request a letter in Spanish addressed to the Dirección General de Migración y Extranjería (bring us a copy)
7. Proof of solid economic status (bank account statements, salary statements, for the last three months).
8. Letter in English or Spanish addressed to the Consul in which you state the following: full name, nationality, passport number, place of residence, length of planned stay in Costa Rica, profession, address in Costa Rica, e-mail address and signature.
9. Police record, from your country of origin and from The Netherlands issued at least 1 months prior to presenting the application. Documents must be translated to Spanish and both apostillated or legalized by the proper authorities.
10. Birth certificate. Document must be translated to English or Spanish and apostillated or legalised by the proper authorities.
11. Fees to pay:
Bank Account information:
The Consular Visa is issued by the Consul .
Once you have all the required documents, please send them in copies to the General Consulate of Costa Rica, Laan Copes van Cattenburch 46, 2585 Den Haag.
If your application is approved we will give you an appointment in which you should come to the Consulate and bring us all the original documents. they will be checked and if they are complete, your visa application will be processed.
In cases of restricted visa, (another type of visa for some countries ) when The Dirección de Migración in San José, approved the application, our Consulate will receive a notification from San José , once it will be process there, and after that, we stamp the visa in your passport. The Inmigration Office will determine the authorized length of your stay. The restricted visa is approved by Dirección General de Migración y Extranjería in San José, therefore the processing time may vary. Generally the process takes between one to two months, or more. Once your restricted visa is approved, our Consulate will process it in 2-3 working days.
Additional Information: Any document you will show to Migration Authorities in Costa Rica when arriving, must be translated to Spanish and apostillated (ex. Passport and UE , USA,resident permit).